Monday, August 16, 2010

Summer Reading

At the pool in the summer, the best thing to make the time fly by is to read! I am an avid reader but unfortunately I can't do much of it during the school year because there is a complete lack of time. Here are some of the books I've read this summer!

1. The Blind Side by Michael Lewis - This is an amazing book based on an amazing story! In the past year, I have become much more of a football fan so I jumped at the opportunity to learn more about the game when I saw this book. It's been out for a while, and the movie came out last fall, but it is still a great read. The weirdest part is that it is in Memphis, and my dad has known the Tuohy's his entire life!

2. The Pretty Little Liars series by Sara Shepard - I am a teenage girl, so I have no problems admitting that I LOVE this book series! It's so much better than the newly adapted TV show. My favorite character is Spencer, the preppy one. It's such a good mystery and I honestly did not expect the ending!

3. Commencement by J. Courtney Sullivan - I think that I originally saw this book on Preppy Must Have, and it took me a couple of months to actually read it. It was totally worth it. Commencement is now one of my favorite books. It's not a trashy, girly read even though it's about 4 girls in and out of college and their lives. It's touching and entertaining and you fall in love with the characters!

4. Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut - An extremely odd read. It's not that I didn't enjoy it, but I didn't leave me wanting more like the books above. For an English project last year, we had to choose a book to do a report on, and one of my classmates had this book. His description of it was interesting, so I bought it for a nice, summer read. While it is quick, it's not my favorite in the least.

5. Fifth Avenue, 5 A.M. by Sam Wasson - I loved this book! It's about one of my favorite movies of all time, Breakfast at Tiffany's. It describes the pre-production, the filming, and post-production of the film, as well as a mini biography of Audrey Hepburn. It was extremely interesting and I recommend it to anyone who loves the film!

6. Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld - While the title was extremely misleading, this is a great book. It follows the high school years of a girl from the Midwest who goes to boarding school in the Northeast. 

7. The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger - Who doesn't love books about fashion!?!? I adore the movie, and I still liked it even though the book is very different. You just want to strangle Miranda even more, and you see more of Andy's personal life rather than her job at Runway. 

Right now, I'm juggling reading 3 books: 1. Valley of the Dolls, 2. Behind the Scenes at the Museum, 3. Money Men. Valley of the Dolls is purely for my trashy reading pleasure, and the characters are based on Grace Kelly, Judy Garland, and Marilyn Monroe. I love all three of them! Behind the Scenes at the Museum is very odd but I really  like it. It's my summer reading book for my English class this year. Money Men is also for school, but it's for my US History class. It's about business and I'm completely bored by it, but it's short and for school, so I have to read it. 

What are y'all reading right now? Are there any great summer reads? Let me know! 

xoxo, Hannah

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Newwpthemes downloaded from amazetemplates.com